Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Edgar Maxence, Serenity, 1912

Photobucket

I love quiet paintings. Calm, meditative, rich. Her face deep in thought, in a wholly internal state--she is so beautiful and intriguing. Maxence really captured the quiet spirituality of the Northern Renaissance.

A large part of what draws me to painting, or any art, is that the act of viewing is by nature introverted. It is necessary to communicate with the work on an internal level. I think art has the ability to bring out the introvert in even the most extroverted person, which I imagine would be an incredibly valuable experience. As an introvert, looking at art gives me an energy which I can't find anywhere else. It is the most quiet occupation I know, and the most intellectually satisfying. It sustains me. It is also a place where introverts, or at least acts of introversion, are frequently represented, which is not the case in popular culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment